Monday, March 9, 2009

Editing, Scripts, Research, Blogging....yeah.

I updated the blog with a new Featured YA Author of the Month, which can always be found at the bottom of the page above the Astronomy Picture of the Day and some of my favorite quotes from other Authors. There is also a poll for next month’s featured YA Author of the Month to the side. Whichever Author gets the highest number of votes, I will feature in April.

As for ‘Nightmares of Nevaeh’, I am returning to yet another editing stage. I received some good responses from the few agents I queried, had requests, but they all seemed hesitant on one point. I’m going to see if I can work on that. I might have it professionally evaluated, too. At any rate, it slows the publication process down.

I entered NoN in the ABNA contest, but I seriously doubt I will make the cut on the 16th. My pitch was awful. And my first chapter has since been tightened. So yeah, I am not expecting anything on that count. Anyways, I don’t think they are looking for what I’m selling. They seem to want strong literary or thriller/mystery manuscripts. Mine is a Sci-fi Romance for young adults.

I have been doing some research for a new spec script. If it is in good enough shape before the deadline in May, I will enter it in the Academy’s Nicholl’s Fellowship. Skip Press (www.SkipPress.com) brought that to my attention not too long ago. But the research is very difficult to attain without traveling to specific locations to interview people. I am trying to do that via the internet, but I don’t know how that will work out.

The idea for the script came to me as a combination of an experience I had when I was in middle school and a short story I wrote last year. Together they formed a pretty neat plot. So, I outlined it thoroughly, began my research, and started working on the script. I believe I am twelve pages in, so far.

There is a high probability that I will adapt the screenplay into a novel, regardless of the Nicholl’s Fellowship. I can’t get too far off schedule with NoN, so the adaptation is a back burner sort of thing. The script, while not easy, is fairly quick work though. So while I am waiting to hear from one more agent, concentrating on editing, and scheduling related activities, I can also work on ‘Ryder’. Yes, it’s a working title for the script. When it is finished I will know what to call it, I think.

What is fairly unusual about this script is it is not a fantasy, horror, sci-fi, etc. In other words, it is a low budget script, and it could be filmed in states with tax breaks. I normally can’t help but write high budget because of my ‘imagination’. But this time is very different. I think it could be classified as a Romantic Drama. The target audience would be the middle school to young adult range. Yes, very different for me. Maybe different will turn out to be a good thing.

Other than all of that, my health hasn’t been great. I’ve been in and out of the hospital in the last couple of weeks. Thought I was going to have to go back in today, but I think I managed to convince everyone I’m ok. My health has never been great. In the last six years or so it has been particularly bad. But I do have long periods where I am fine. I’m going to live much longer than I want to, I’m sure. ;)

So, enough said for one day. I hope everything is going well for you guys and girls!


Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment