Sunday, May 23, 2010

May Trip/Part Two: I Walk On Graves




Why would you even build this? I'm calling it the "Suicide Staircase." There must be a purpose, but I don't have the time or inclination to find it. It's kind of funny and I'd thought I would share, anyway.
From my recent visit to the Nutter Center in Dayton, OH.

Disclaimer: Do NOT commit suicide. Do NOT try walking down or off the staircase.

I can't believe I need to put that up. This world we live in.

Part Two...

5. Sometimes you just find a tank randomly parked in Alabama and have to take a picture.

Upon leaving the Alabama graveyard I spotted this:



We'd passed a pitiful looking base (compared to what I'm used to, anyway) a few miles back, so this seemed a little lost. I don't know, maybe you can just own tanks and park them there. If I hadn't been on high alert because of the Titanic sighting of earlier that day, I might have missed this gem.

6. I'm descended from royalty--one of the Henrys--and I know this because my mother is a genealogist who is fascinated with all our dead relatives. I should also mention I'm related to at least one historically notorious killer and quite a few criminals.

It's kind of funny because the elderly living relatives don't like to talk about the shameful parts of the family tree. They'll hush you if you bring up, well, even the horse thief our Great Aunt impulsively chose to marry. I just giggle behind my hand as my mom's crowd tells the rest of the tale. You know, how Great Auntie waited until her hubby was hung, moved to a new area, and got her a different man? Yep.

Before heading into Austin, we stopped in a tiny Texas town to take pictures of graves in the family tree. One stood out to me. You see, graves that old in this graveyard were little more than weathered chunks of rock. Mom looked so hopeless. And then, there he was...there they all were. Our family's heritage had been preserved for pictures:




I had acquired burs at that point--not the famous family that sounds similar--so I was relieved. Now I'm a bit sarcastic, as you can see. Apparently, there were so many of the Tullous boys that they formed a whole unit/division(word?) of the Calvary when they joined the C.S.A. during the Civil War. I can only imagine that much of my family in a Calvary charge. Ah, the stories I could have written.


7. On the way to Austin, there are a lot of big, eccentric ranchers and one of them owns a gazelle.

Like the Titanic, my shock was too great for a picture. Then again, there are rich people who have rare animals at their houses, right? Maybe gazelles aren't really rare, just unusual. It's a rather random choice, though. And you'd think it would be difficult to contain...

The mysteries of that drive still confound me. Heck, maybe they just like to have safaris on their property.




A preview of what's to come in Part 3...



A close-up of "The Martyrdom of Saint Ursula and the Eleven Thousand Maidens" by Peter Paul Rubens.

No comments:

Post a Comment